The mobile application industry is booming in India and with it, so is gaming. It is logical that the two go hand in hand. Any new smartphone user tentatively tries messaging apps like WhatsApp or a news app of their choice. They slowly get bolder and start experimenting with other apps be it a fitness one or for online shopping and then games. After all, everyone is a child at heart.
Mobile gaming has a come a long way from games like snake and computer games have evolved since Atari Breakout. Most popular games are still simple ones along the lines of Candy Crush, Flappy Bird and Temple Run.
The Gaming Industry in India
The game making and designing industry in India was small until fairly recently. India was primarily an outsourcing hub for foreign gaming companies. And that was mainly because gaming simply wasn’t a mainstream form of entertainment then. The Wi-Fi connections in India grew better and more people had access to smartphones creating an increase in the local demand for games. The number of game development companies increased from 25 in 2010 to over 250 companies focusing on India today. Of course the big players from across the world like EA games and Ubisoft have had a presence in India for years as well.
According to Nitesh Mittersain, CEO and Founder, Nazara Technologies “The market is mainly mobile-driven as people don’t have access to online and console games, and mobile has been accessible to all.” A report by Google – KMPG has estimated that the online gaming industry in India will grow from the current $360 million to an estimated $ 1 billion by 2021 with the online gaming community reaching 310 million gamers by that year as well. That’s a massive industry growth rate of 20% every year!
How to Turn Your Passion for Gaming into a Career
Impressed by the numbers? Here’s how you can turn your passion for games into a career.
Not everyone can design and create games. It takes a special, dedicated sort of person to do so. Although it helps, simply playing plenty of games is not enough. You must be passionate about the games and the gaming industry as a whole. A basic knowledge of a programming language like Java or C++ will definitely help. You also need to be up to date with mathematical concepts like Quadratic Equations & Functions and Vectors; geometrical concepts like Lines, Angles, Shapes, Triangles and Transformations and Trigonometry.
Seamedu’s Department of Game and Mobile Software Development
Seamedu’s Department of Game and Mobile Software Development has teamed up with industry experts from companies like Shoonya Game Technologies, Driya Interactive and Rolocule Games to design courses that stay up to date with current trends in the industry across PC, iOS and Android platforms. As one of the top game engineering colleges in India, we teach our students to create games, which are extremely playable and connect with audiences, through the practical application of theory. Tailored to meet the current and future industry demands, our experienced faculty ensures that the students are job-ready as soon as they graduate.
1. Diploma in Game Engineering
This one year course can be taken directly after your 12th grade (or equivalent) from any stream providing you have basic knowledge of at least on programming language. This course ensures that students are ready for the game development industry by providing students industry relevant practical exposure to Game Programming through.
- Workshops by industry professionals
- Being able to confidently build multi-platform game using Unity 3D
- Becoming an Unity certified professionals
- Attending national gaming events like NGDC (National game development conference)
2. Degree Course in Game and Mobile Software Development
This degree course is spread out over three years and can be attended in either Pune or Bangalore. You can take this course after your 12th grade providing you have had Mathematics as a subject. The course is designed with the following objectives in mind:
- Students receive industry-relevant practical exposure to Mobile App and Game Software Development
- Students will be able to confidently build mobile applications for iOS and Android and multi-platform games using Unity 3D and receive relevant certification
- Students will be able to learn in a practical based environment directly from industry professionals themselves through interactive workshops and webinars
- Students will gain exposure to the industry through industry visits and attending national gaming events like NGDC (National Game Development Conference)
There are plenty of job opportunities waiting for graduates and Diploma holders in Game Engineering and more are being created every day. Seamedu through its industry connections and partners also helps eligible students obtain placements with some of the top game companies in India today.
Gaming Careers in India
With the demand for mobile apps and games increasing every day, the possibilities for building a career in the industry are limitless.
Here are a couple of examples of what you can do with a degree in Game Engineering and Mobile App Development:
- UI Designers – This is an extremely high profile job. A User Interface Designer is in charge of designing each screen or page with which a user interacts and ensuring that the UI visually communicates the path that a UX designer has laid out. So a game UI designer looks at all the elements a user will interact with i.e. keyboard control, mouse control and interfaces (inventory screen, map screen). Good or bad UI design can make or break a game.
- Java Programmer – Java programmers manage Java/Java EE application development while providing expertise in the full software development lifecycle, from concept and design to testing. They support continuous improvement by investigating technologies to ensure that applications that are built are cutting edge in design.
- iOS Designer – An iOS Developer is responsible for developing applications for mobile devices powered by Apple’s iOS operating system. Ideally, a good iOS Developer is proficient with one of the two programming languages for this platform: Objective-C or Swift. They continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency.