There is a growing demand for professionally trained sound engineers. The live sound industry is cutting edge and is a revelation to the new revolution. People are spending thousands of Rupees to see their favorite artist perform in their city, the need for a skilled sound engineering is absolutely essential. India has recently seen a huge rise in live shows, music festivals, concerts, clubs, etc. Festivals like NH7, EVC, Sunburn, Storm fest, Ziro festival, etc has seen international acts along with national and local bands and DJ’s perform. Artist’s like Armin Van Buuren, DeadMau5, Tiesto, Hardwell, Metallica, Porcupine tree, Karnivool and many more international acts have come to india in the last 1 year.
The Internet has given the power to the audience to listen and follow their favorite artist, download their songs instantly and even interact with them. This is the main reason why live sound has increased enormously in the last 5 years.
From a technical view point the live sound industry is also expanding with new gear and technology coming in almost every month. The music studio industry is reducing as music producers have started making music from their home set ups. Most of the sound technology companies are focusing towards live sound and installations in clubs and arena’s.
- System Engineer: He is responsible for the sound system right from ensuring all the gear is loaded in the trucks to reach to venue, power distribution, set up the system, tuning the system to make it sound flawless, supporting the mixing engineer, packing up and ensuring everything goes back properly back to the warehouse. This is the profile where aspiring sound engineers ideally start their career. This is an intensive job and requires a lot of hard work and long hours. The learning curve in this job is humongous. You learn about equipment’s, power distribution, mixing bands on FOH, artist mixes, and so much more. Each day is new and challenging, as you set up in a new venue daily.
- Mixing Engineer: He is the reason why the audience will love or hate the performance of the artist that day. He works and travels with the band. In fact he is as important member of the band as any other performer. He plans the gear that would be needed on the day of the event. Once the system engineer has set up the system the band comes on stage and mixing engineer does a sound check with them. He checks the sound of each and every microphone that is placed on stage. He is also responsible for making artist feel comfortable on stage so they can give their best performance. Each artist needs to listen to other artists or instruments in order to stay in tune and in sync with the band. For this very reason each artist has been given a speaker in front of him. This is known as monitor mix. In some situations there is a separate engineering on the side of the stage responsible for doing only this job. Ensuring that the artist can listen to other instruments. Mixing engineers need to know different consoles in order to work in any situation. In fact they need to know signal processing so well that given any board at any time they should still make the band sound right. Hence mixing is an art and not just a technical process.
It is wise to opt for an institution that meets the growing demands of the sound industry. Seamedu is one such institution that has a proven record of giving an edge in experiencing different programs. Their sound engineering courses are in tuned with the latest of the industry trends. The students are given the opportunity and explore their talent to the fullest. Opt for a Bachelor of Arts degree in Mass Media (Sound Engineering) or a Diploma in Sound Engineering. if you are not interested in Studio or music production then you can opt. for a Certificate Program in Live Sound. The certification program covers all basics of audio to practical handling of live sound gear.
Knowledge after completion of the course:
- Working knowledge of physics and electronics in relation to audio
- Understanding of gear required in Live Sound like microphones, speakers, amplifiers, crossovers, EQ, etc.
- Detailed understanding of various consoles
- Setting up speakers and system before the show
- Mixing bands
- Tips and trick for various working environment
Gear up! You never know what a future in the live sound industry has in store for you!