“If my character had the ability to do this, the game would be so much more fun!”
“This map would be much more interesting if the pickup point was at position D instead of F.”
“I’m sure I could design this bot better!”
Have you ever had thoughts like these while playing video games? If you have, then perhaps you have a knack for developing/designing games for the new generation and a career in creating games is the right one for you!
6 reasons why a career in game designing and programming is awesome
1. To hell with the formals!
You don’t have to wear formal clothes to work. Seriously, how many gamers do you know that wear suits and ties on a daily basis?
2. None of that 9 to 5 business
It’s not a regular 9 to 5 job. Most game design companies have a vibrant atmosphere with fun outings like paintballing planned for their staff. It’s not just fun and games though; you might find yourself working long hours as deadlines loom near.
3. It involves playing games all the time!
You get to work in a field doing something you love. You get to be involved in everything video games, all day, every day!
4. It’s as diverse as it gets
There’s plenty of scope for you, no matter where your talents lie. Whether you’re good at art or coding, scriptwriting or music there’s an opportunity for you.
5. Job security is not just for doctors, engineers, lawyers and MBAs
Jobs in the video game industry are fairly secure. There is also an ever increasing demand for games. In fact, India alone has about 300 companies involved in creating video games!
6. Rewarding – Emotionally, intellectually, creatively and FINANCIALLY
Yes, it is a lucrative career. Payscale reports that the median salary for video game designers is about Rs. 5,82,102 a year, depending on your experience and quality of work, of course.
India is a growing hub for outsourcing the various stages of game development, allowing Indian studios (and thereby their staff) work on an international level and so grow their expertise. Even game giants like Ubisoft, EA and Zynga have recognised the depth of the talent pool in India and have set up development studios here. One really doesn’t need more proof than that while considering the potential of the game development industry in India.
Video games have come a long way from Atari and the classic Pacman. Today’s video games can often be full-blown productions requiring a small army of artists and designers to create them with various different roles taking precedence in the preproduction, production and postproduction stages. If you’re wondering exactly where you might fit in, we’ve put together a list of a few different job roles that are required in the gaming industry to help you decide.
Jobs after a course in game development and game engineering
Game design is both an art and a science. It involves applying a sense of aesthetics and design to create a game. Basically, if one were to draw parallels between the film and game industries, the lead “Game Designer” would be the “director” of the game. It takes a few years of experience before you can become a lead Game Designer. However, there are various different functions in the design team that might interest you.
Game Designers are responsible for what a game consists of and how it plays. They plan all the elements of a game: the setting, structure, rules, story flow, etc. Once the game is formulated, the Game Designer communicates this with the Art and Programming team who allow the game to be played.
Programmers are highly in demand in the gaming industry. There often many entry level openings in this field. Video game programmers mainly develop codebases for video games or for game development tools. They use languages like C++, Cand, increasingly, Java to develop cross platform games. Just like with game design, there are many different job functions in the game programming field.
- Junior Programmer: This is an entry level position with requires the individual to conduct many small programming tasks and assist and shadow senior game developer.
- Game Programmer: This position requires high skills and experience to design and write the code of the game and coordinate and distribute work with a junior programmer and track the growth. All the essential aspects of the game are developed by these programmers.
- AI Programmer: The AI programmers simulate intelligent behaviour within the game that is not under the players’ control and works on path finding and decision trees. This section of game programming is growing rapidly as games become more complex.
Video games really allow artists to go wild with their creativity. There are a variety of different roles to be had in this field. They work closely together to ensure the game is visually appealing and the style of the artwork remains consistent throughout the game.
- Environment Artist: They are responsible for creating the look and feel of the environment of the game including its landscapes, objects and architecture.
- Concept Artist: They are responsible for conceptualising the artwork of the game and work hand in hand with the art director to ensure consistency in art design throughout the game right from the storyboard stage.
- Cinematic Artist: This role involves animation, creating cut scenes or movie scenes that are vital to the script of the game.
- Modeller: They use 3D modelling software to create 3D models of the various characters and objects in the game.
As you can see, there are plenty of different career paths to be followed in the field of game making. Seamedu School of Pro-Expressionism can help you achieve that. Our courses in Game Art and Game Design as well as in Game Development are tailored to give you the foundation you need to become a successful video game developer.
In case you need more information about how you can pursue a successful career in these fields, you can check out our comprehensive career guides for game development and game design. These guides will help you to clear all the doubts that you have and arrive to a decision.
Let us know what your dream career in the field of game making is in the comments below and contact us to know more about what we have to offer!