“Good marketing makes the company look smart. Great marketing makes the customer feel smart.”
– Joe Chernov
Do you get bombarded with advertisements, brands, and products on the internet, whether be it on websites, emails, and social media? Unless you live outside civilization, and without an internet connection, chances are that you do. Have you considered where all this is coming from, though? Who is the mastermind behind this infiltration of your internet presence?
Here is the answer – these masterminds are the digital marketers – people who are working 24/7 to try to reach out to you.
Before we start, let us first understand the term ‘digital marketing’ better. Digital marketing refers to a concentrated effort that goes into connecting and building relationships with customers and potential consumers through the use of electronic media and the internet.
“The internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow.”
– Bill Gates
In fact, the advent of the internet is one of the most pivotal factors responsible for the widespread use of this medium of marketing everywhere in the world. With the passage of time, the entire world has become digitized and it has now become an intrinsic part of our daily lives. The corporate world as taken cognizance of this fact and developed marketing strategies specifically targeted at these users of digital media.
Digital marketing is made up of several components and verticals in the digital space, including:
- Search Engine Optimization – also known as SEO, the practice of using keywords, meta-tags and other tools to appear higher up in relevant search engine results.
- Search Engine Marketing – while SEO is an effort to organically appear higher up in search results, SEM involves paid promotion slots on search result pages.
- Content Marketing – creating any kind of digital content and sharing it online in an effort to gain new customers and keep existing ones.
- Influencer Marketing – the exercise of using popular individuals ‘influencers’ to propagate your brand and its values in an effort to receive more credible publicity.
- Social Media Marketing – SMM is the practice of paying social media portals to display your advertisements or promote your product or company’s handle in an effort to gain greater visibility.
- Social Media Optimization – SMO is the process by which various social media platforms are harnessed to create publicity for a brand or its products.
- E-mail Marketing – The modern-day digital version of direct mail marketing where promotional content is sent directly to the mailboxes of customers (either current or prospective), in an effort to raise brand awareness.
Why is digital marketing so successful?
Today, digital marketing is a booming sector and this is because it is armed with a variety of unique features. Features such as:
- Instant response
- Mass reach
All these attributes have transformed digital marketing into a force to be reckoned with, and an important tool in companies’ approaches and marketing strategies.
Digital marketing is exciting, fast-moving and creative. In this field, a digital marketer needs to understand the client’s requirements, the target audience, and the best ways to approach the latter on behalf of the former. In order to develop digital strategy, you need a variety of skills and knowledge in fields such as statistics, technology, data interpretation, e-commerce, and online customer behavior.
To develop a career in digital marketing, you need to be one with the internet, and possess qualities such as communication skills, creativity, online nous, acute understanding of consumer behavior, adaptability, and a strict adherence to timeliness and deadlines.
NOW is a great time to deep-dive into this field. Explore Seamedu’s professional degree course in Marketing Communications Management to give yourself the best shot at making it big in the digital marketing arena.